Thursday 6 November 2008

Hoi an

Simon writes:

After a vomit-washed night bus from Hanoi, we arrived in the coastal town of Hoi An in Central Vietnam and our fortunes improved rapidly and dramatically. Noelle is in shopping heaven (there are about 500 tailors here able to making any piece of clothing you happen to have a picture of), the sun is shining (some of the time) and the penguins are enjoying the seafood and fraternising with the locals.

What's more, I appear to have transformed myself from being possibly the most weedling, miserable and energy-sapping shopping companion the world has ever seen to something of a style guru. It's not like I've begun wearing mascara, drinking latte or pouting inappropriately or anything; it's just that I've learned to vocalise when I like something or when I think it looks sh1t. Who'd have thought it could be so easy?! I'm even entertaining the possibility that Noelle actually agrees with me on this. Hope springs eternal...

In other news, we've taken to the roads on a motorbike (ooh er!). I would dearly love to be able to tell you that I tamed a 1000cc chopper, changed my name to Bone, dispensed with personal hygiene and got the word "DEATH" tattooed across my privates. Alas no, I'm nowhere near being a fully-fledged biker. However, I AM chalking up today's 100 kilometre day trip on a feisty little 125 with the mrs on the back as a victory. After all, I'm reliably informed that my little bro (Hi Oscar!) recently learned to ride a bicycle without stabilisers. An inspiring piece of news if ever there was one! Anything you can do buddy...

Still, you'll notice the news of our two-wheeled exploits comes after the proverbial fat lass has sung. This is partly to prevent parental jitters but also because when it comes to using the roads in Vietnam one does not push one's luck!

After staring for the past hour at a pop up box that is allegedly uploading photos I've come to the conclusion that this internet cafe is a walking talking joke workshop. Curses! Will provide pics (They. Are. Awesome.) as soon as.

3 comments:

Blackbird said...

Hi Simon and Noelle

Just to let you know that I'm sitting in Catherine Place, reading your bolg and insanely jealous.

Sounds like you are having a great time though.

Lynsey

Anonymous said...

i love the idea of a bolg... i picked up a bespoke tux, awesome overcoat and hoodie in Hoi An all for 100 US, back in the good old days when it was 50p to a dollar, back of he net!

Anonymous said...

Lynsey! How nice to hear from you again - has your surname changed yet? :)

Burrow - the whistle is in the post...