Monday 16 February 2009

Delhi/Agra/Delhi

Simon writes:

Bombaby was cool. We were so busy sampling the food, the drink and the tailoring we didn't have much time to take photos.

Onwards: we're now based in Delhi and we did a long but worthwhile trip to Agra yesterday.

PHOTOS

This is me failing to come to terms with the eventual demise of my favourite t-shirt (11 years I've had this R.E.M.-themed bad boy. I had to face the fact that it had finally become too old and tatty, even for somebody as old and tatty as me):

This is Noelle looking angelic in one of her new Indian-style outfits:

This is a picture of a local boob with a quite ridiculous dress sense (he was actually combing his mullet when we first spotted him!):


This is a picture of an elephant walking along a busy Delhi overpass (nothing out of the ordinary apparently):

And finally, these are some pictures from Agra:





You'll notice that the last of these is of our web-footed friends. They were actually refused entry to the Taj Mahal complex. Ugly scenes ensued. We found them later drinking in a local rooftop bar plotting the downfall of the Indian government. Deep sigh.

Anyway, we've now got night bus tickets (we never seem to learn) to Sujanpur Tihra, which should be not far from a wee village containing a local school in which I had a brief spell as a teacher almost exactly ten years ago.

As far as we can tell there are no hotels in the area, I have nothing for anybody to remember me by (not even my R.E.M t-shirt) and I'm growing a beard that's making me look like a cross between the yeti and a crack addict. Fingers crossed somebody will recognise me and take us in...

Should be quite interesting to visit the place after so long. It probably hasn't changed as much as I have. I'm preparing to become quite emotional.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loving the beard! Oh why have you never grown one before I wonder?!?

p.s
Have you seen Slumdog millionaire?

Anonymous said...

Yes we saw the movie in Bombay. We loved it!

Anonymous said...

The reason for me not having grown a beard until now should be plainly obvious. I'm concerned I'm being made fun of...

Anonymous said...

Would I ever make fun? I'm shocked! Sadly for myself I have not managed to really cultivate any cleatus-like growth for a while as pesky patients mean I need to look relatively respectable.Sigh, can't wait for the summer

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures guys. I especially like the elephant and the mullet in Delhi.
I think that simon's beard looks a bit like the thin spare hair on an aging pot-bellied pig. But, i understand pigs are relatively clean animals and my cousin seems to think they're cute. good luck! love you both a lot. and miss you tons.
oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
stefan

Anonymous said...

Well Simon does love pigs. The rest of what I was going to write I have been told is too outrageous.